NaNoWriMo Is Here

It's NaNoWriMo!
The time of year has come, where writers of all ages and genres, sign up to commit and push themselves to begin a novel, finish a novel, edit a novel...you get the idea.
A couple years ago, I finished a novel during the event. Sadly, that novel is still in the editing and revision process. Though I've almost finished, it's my least favorite part of writing. And as I'm editing, I'm realizing that I feel that I will need to rewrite essentially the whole story. Tear it down to the bare bones and build it up again. But, that's the whole purpose of a first draft. You sit, you write whatever your brain regurgitates, and then from that you pick and choose and rebuild it. Better. Stronger.

I considered for a moment using NaNoWriMo to finish editing and begin the story again. However, there's another one that's been floating around my head for a while and knocking on the door. I started it some time ago, in pencil, in a journal with a certain apple loving princess on the front cover. This was an odd choice for me as I normally write in notebooks, on the computer, and very often on scraps of paper. But I spotted this journal and others like it with other princesses of fame and I really liked the style of the journals. I enjoy the Grimm fairy tales as well as their Disney counterparts, but I'm not one of those Princess type girls. Whatever. I go with what I feel.

The pages within screamed for me to write a story in a different sort of fashion than I might normally do. So I began, with an image. And from that image a world not unlike our own but vastly changed, began to take shape. Being someone that enjoys animé, I used some of my favorites as a source of inspiration. Each chapter is listed as an episode. The main character is named Jett. (Yes, I'm aware the namesake is only one T.)

So today I'll begin my NaNoWriMo challenge by typing up what I've written. It needs to be done anyway, and this will allow me to re-familiarize myself with the characters and the world in which they live and fight. If you're a writer and you need inspiration, challenge to push yourself, maybe to make that final stretch to finished, or to polish up an already finished work, I suggest you consider NaNoWriMo. It's a good way to get those creative juices flowing.

NaNoWriMo on Twitter
NaNoWriMo on Facebook
NaNoWriMo on Instagram

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embrace It

Pastel Madness!

Birthday Painting